Tuesday, July 1, 2008

ATONEMENT

Snorezzzzzzzzz. It’s a big film with big production values. The problem is everyone from the director downwards seems to take that definition too seriously. Every frame is thought through in the minutest detail. I didn’t look deep enough but I am sure god was in there. That it got 7 nominations and the best film Oscar confirms my long held belief that the committee is easily impressed by the typical Hollywood show of strength.

Atonement put me to sleep. Twice. For me nothing worked. All the spit and polish left me cold. It was like looking at beautiful but soulless images. The actors seemed lifeless and the only word that comes to mind to describe their work is ‘ponderous’. The same could be said about the cinematography- it was beautiful but didn’t do anything for me. A shot of planes reflected in the water and the scene at the beach were beautiful- maybe too beautifully shot. They were screaming to be looked at. The background track where the typewriter was used well left me with a headache. Once again it was well produced but very heavy going.

Overall it is an example of how excellence in individual departments didn’t add up to make a brilliant film. .

No comments: